The Control Bugs are a species of Arachnid that gains control of human hosts and forcibly changes their ideas and beliefs to that of the Arachnids.
Roughnecks: Starship Troopers ChroniclesEdit
Control Bugs are small, roughly the size of human hands. They seize control of a host by attaching themselves to the spinal chord, becoming a telepathic conduit for Brain Bugs. The range of their telepathic abilities has never been tested in the field. While having very little offensive capability on their own, they are very agile and difficult to hit with weapons.
Starship Troopers film universeEdit
Control Bugs enter through the mouth of humans, burrow right into the brain and control a person's mind, however the human body can only last for so long with these Bugs burrowed into them and gradually deteriorate due to the bug using them for substance. When control bugs have consumed their host to near death they are either removed or remove themselves before attempting to spread their offspring, beginning the process of infection all over again.
The only reported instance of these bugs being used was at Hotel Delta 1-8-5, where they attempted to conquer the Federation high command by infecting General Jack Shepherd, who could then bring the infection to the Federations leaders and cause massive instability and bring about the extinction of the human species.
The first-known infected human was Technical Sergeant Ari Peck, whose infection spread all around Hotel Delta 1-8-5 except to three humans.
Due to limited intelligence available solely through the debriefing of Private Sahara, any and all information has to be derived from the following cases:
- Tech Sergeant Ari Peck
- The original vector. First seen in an already deteriorated state; unusual skin coloration, severe body odor. Severe stutter, twitching and baldness may or may not be caused by the control bug; however, the stutter does get progressively worse. May have been infected six days ago, if Griff is to be trusted. Conscious of his state, refuses to lose any time fixing the radio. Cracked the neck after being praised by Shepherd. Eventually body becomes more fragile, whites of the eyes become red. Shows little regard for body mutilation.
- Corporal Joe Griff
- Vector 2. No abnormalities noticed upon arrival to the fortress. When offered food, goes straight for sugar, twice; may be related to Bug metabolism. Also observed is black coloration of the left thumb, which is exaggerated by Sahara’s psychic abilities. Plays it smart when fighting Dix.
- Private Charlie Soda
- Vector 3. Appears to be “the designated infector”, spawns at least three bugs, last two – with blood. First seen unconscious, described by Gen Shepherd as unusually light (or he was just criticizing a subordinate for being slow). Cracks her neck upon waking up. Immediately attempts to infect the most dangerous person in the unit – Cpt Dax. Later is seen naked in the quarters for no apparent reason whatsoever, other than an attempt to make Sahara a Control Bug host by seducing her. Demonstrates little skill with the assault rifle, missing the mark at arm’s length; far from impervious to pain from a M7 Incendiary grenade, but survives for quite long.
- Private Duff Horton
- Soda loses no time after the attempted infection of Sahara. Bug survives decapitation, but not the microwave.
- Private Jill Sandee
- Horton’s infidelity and Sandee’s reaction is immediately exploited by Griff. Somewhat hysterical soon afterwards. Infection confirmed by participating in drawing the star with the other known “thralls”. Hysterically laughs when Rake and Sahara are being infected; shows reduction in intelligence. Survives a single strike with a frying pan, so is smart enough to play dead. Attempts a kamikaze attack with grenades, using "creepy" singing to attract the targets.
- Private Kipper Tor
- Takeover not instant. Also later seen consuming large amounts of sugar. Slight behavior change noted by Sahara. Walks into rifle fire instead of using a weapon.
- Infected nearly simultaneously by using Peck’s adult bug.
- Brick - attacked by multiple offspring. Walks into rifle fire instead of using a weapon.
- Billy – Up front with his infecting intentions with both of his targets. Worships Control Bugs and the Bug God/God Bug. Mostly insensitive to pain, specifically from multiple blunt force trauma to the head.
- General Jack Shepherd
- Primary objective, infected by Soda off-screen. Confirms that take-over is not immediate. Later explains the Bug motivations and beliefs, which is impractical in front of two armed hostiles. Gets an even less practical idea of infecting Sahara when he could have just killed her too.
- Sergeant Dede Rake
- The most "complicated" infection. Retains sufficient consciousness to resist after implantation. Uses “Amfamine” to counter the effects. Proceeds to save the day before committing suicide. Bug survives even that. Note that it should completely displace the human brain and has doubled in size over that time; it also has reduced its legs to stubs.